EU stands with Ukraine
The European Union announces restrictive measures against Putin's regime in response to its brutal aggression against Ukraine and its people. Other measures are announced to support Ukrainian students, young people, teachers and educators. (Update: 8 April)
This page is being updated to reflect any new measures announced.
Updated: 8 April 2022
The European Commission welcomes today's agreement by the Council to adopt a fifth package of restrictive measures against Putin's regime in response to its brutal aggression against Ukraine and its people.
One of the measures is to exclude Russia from public contracts and European money, and bring legal clarifications and enforcement.
Further to measures previously announced in research and education, the Commission will terminate participation in all ongoing grant agreements to Russian public bodies or related entities, and suspend all related payments, under Horizon 2020 and Horizon Europe, Euratom, and Erasmus+. No new contracts or agreements with Russian public bodies or related entities will be concluded under these programmes.
- Press release detailing the full package of measures announced
- Statement by Commissioner Gabriel on the termination of cooperation with Russian public entities
10 March 2022
Mariya Gabriel, Commissioner for Innovation, Research, Culture, Education and Youth, has announced measures to support Ukrainian students, young people, teachers and educators in these extremely challenging times.
The new measures laid out will ensure
- the greatest flexibility possible in implementing projects towards Ukrainian students and higher education staff
- individual contact with participants who are currently in Ukraine or in Russia or planning to leave to these countries within the coming weeks
- tailored support for Ukrainian students abroad
The EU stands united in its solidarity with Ukraine and will continue to support Ukraine and its people together with its international partners, including through additional political, financial and humanitarian support.