Scaling up the European Student Card – What's next?
2022 marks the first year of the European Student Card’s scaling up effort to foster mobility and student status verification across all 33 Erasmus+ Programme countries.
Achievements in 2022
The success of the ESC relies on implementing a sound, secure and efficient system to support higher education institutions and students’ access to services. In 2022, this effort included
- assessing the state of play of ESC’s adoption in Erasmus+ Programme countries and defining a 4-year plan and 2-year roadmap for roll-out
- initial development of an updated ESC-Router compliant with European Commission standards which will be launched in 2023
- running the first annual ESC Survey to assess cardholders and card issuers needs, which had more than 5,700 responses
- elaborating a baseline study to assess the current state-of-play of ESC adoption in Erasmus+ Programme countries
- a new ESCI website, with information on ESCI building blocks
- creating a helpdesk and guidelines for stakeholders and card users
- developing a general roll-out strategy and specific planning for training and communications
New ESC-Router and upcoming activities in 2023
In 2023, the European Student Card will enter a new phase of implementation with the deployment of the upgraded version of the ESC-Router. This will add new services and functionalities based on user needs. Along with this critical milestone, the roadmap towards 2025 will focus on
- defining a new ESC Governance model in alignment with ESCI’s governance
- developing a complete IT infrastructure to meet cardholders and stakeholders’ needs
- taking part in events to help promote the ESC
- organising training sessions for card issuers
Join the ESC for the New Year!
The ESC is an ongoing process, so if you would like to know more about how your Institution can join the ESC, check out How to Join the European Student Card.
And remember that only card issuers (e.g., Higher Education Institutions, student unions or other student groups) can register to the ESC-Router (ESC-R), which connects institutions to the ESC online.
We want to keep growing. Stay tuned to know more about what we are doing!
If you have any questions please check our European Student card help and support pages.